If you are servicing a vehicle equipped with a “SHIFTRONIC” automatic transaxle that has the following symptoms, refer to the following repair procedure.
• Will not shift in “D” position, but shifts correctly in Sports Mode; and
• Will not upshift or downshift in Sports Mode.
Affected Models: 2001 Santa Fe and XG, 2002 Sonata, 2003 Tiburon, 2005 Tucson and 2006 Azera.
Attach a Hi-Scan Pro or GDS and select:
• Hyundai Vehicle Diagnosis; and
• “Automatic Transaxle,” “Current Data.”
1. Sports Mode Select Switch Test: With the ignition key “ON” and engine off, select “Sports Mode Select Switch.”
Check the operation of the select switch when the shift lever is moved from “D” to “Sports Mode” and back.
2. Sports Mode Upshift & Downshift Switch Test:
• “Sports Mode Up Switch,” F1 “FIX.”
• “Sports Mode Down Switch,” F1 “FIX.”
• F2, “SCRN” two times (this will isolate top two data to provide a quick refresh rate).
Shift the Sports Mode lever to the upshift and downshift positions and check the operation of the switches.
Switch Box Replacement:
If the switches do not operate as indicated above, proceed as follows. See Fig. 1.
Note: Applies to 2001 Sante Fe & XG, 2002 Sonata, 2003 Tiburon and 2005 Tucson.
1. Refer to the appropriate shop manual (Body section) and remove the center console.
2. Visually check the wiring for an open or short circuit. Check the related connectors for pins that are bent or not fully inserted. If they’re OK, go to step 3.
3. Refer to the appropriate shop manual, “Automatic Transaxle Control System” section and replace the switch box assembly.
Gear Shift Lever Replacement:
Note: Applies to 2006 Sonata and Azera.
1. Refer to the appropriate shop manual (Body section) to remove the center console.
2. Check the wiring visually for an open or short circuit. Check related connectors for pins that are bent or not fully inserted. If they’re OK, go to step 3.
3. Refer to the appropriate shop manual, “Automatic Transaxle Control System” section and replace the gear shift lever assembly.
Technical service bulletin courtesy of ALLDATA.
For additional tech tips, visit www.alldata.com.
Latest posts by AutoCarePro Team (see all)
- One Million Miles Of Testing For Raybestos Brand Element3 Brake Pads - Sep 15, 2014
- NACE | CARS 2015 To Return To Detroit - Sep 15, 2014
- Elgin Industries Celebrates 95th Anniversary - Sep 15, 2014